The name: Mediocre Chess
And why this mediocre name? Well, that's exactly what it's gonna turn out to be, so should fit well in the end.
The programming language: Java
- There aren't many Java chess engines out there, meaning I can't cheat too much by looking at other's work.
- It's an accessible language for anyone. Just download the Java software, pull up your favourite text editor and you're ready to go (after plowing through 200 pages of instructions of course).
- The Java API is huge (the main advantage of Java in general). For example you got a premade Hashtable there (I just know I'm gonna put that in somewhere). Is the API fast, efficient and bug-free? Not really, but darned convenient.
- I already know it!
- There aren't many Java chess engines out there, meaning I can't cheat too much by looking at other's work. :)
- Java isn't known for its blazing speed, and a chess program needs speed to work well. But considering my goals, the speed of Java will do fine.